Children who turned 5 before August 1 are eligible to enroll in the Kindergarten program. The Kindergarten classroom provides a balance of activities that capitalize on children’s interests while engaging students in learning activities that achieve academic skills while developing social-emotional skills.
- 5 Full-Days
- 5 Half-Days
IS YOUR CHILD READY FOR KINDERGARTEN?
- My child has accomplished all of the KinderPrep indicators.
- My child can hop, skip, and jump.
- My child favors one hand over the other.
- My child stays calm when frustrated, disappointed, or angry.
- My child obeys authority figures.
- My child shows an interest in learning and is excited about going to school.
- Beginning to count beyond 10.
- Can use one-to-one correspondence to count 5 objects.
- Can sing the ABC song.
- Can say the letters in his/her name.
- Recognizes basic shapes and colors.
ACTIVITIES TO STRENGTHEN FINE MOTOR SKILLS
- Use scissors to cut Playdoh®.
- Use tongs to pick up building blocks or other small toys and put them in a container.
- Use stamp pads and stamps.
BENCHMARKS FOR THE END OF KINDERGARTEN:
- Students are reading books independently and comprehending sentences read silently.
- Students can write simple sentences independently.
- Students can tell time to the hour and half hour.
- Students can identify coins and count coins.
- Students can complete addition and subtraction equations.